Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Petty Grudge #47

I was recalling my list of intended or perceived slights earlier today and one sling...or arrow...I can't tell which...that sticks in my craw is the following that occurred around October last year...read on, dear reader...and remember...I am a petty petty man...

Well...I'm not really...but it's a good charade to keep up for blogging purposes...but don't tell anyone, okay?

Are we cool?

I know I am...

Not metaphorically cool...I'm not...although I am literally cool...it's been awful chilly these last couple of days...I mean cool in the sense of understanding our agreement that was offered three sentences ago...

And by you continuing to read...you hereby agree to the offer made four sentences ago therein...and agree to be bound by the said condition of confidentiality of the nature of the author's true nature of un-pettiness...

Comprende?

Of course.

...


So I went to a pub one night in October and upon entering I see a friend that I haven't seen in over a year.

Now this person knows me and I know this person and we acknowledged each other with a hug etc. It was all very pleasant.

This person asked how I was and I replied.

I asked this person how they were and they replied.

Simple pleasantries.

I make the mistake of looking at the group of people sitting with this person prompting this person to offer introductions.
This person gestured to her compadres and said 'This is Jacinta and Ricky.'

This person then gestured towards me and said 'And this is... (slightly hushed tone)...Anthony...?'

Her voice raised on the sometime vowel...hesitant.
I looked at this person quizzically.

This person looked back at me and said 'Is it Anthony?'

'No.' I said with a smile. 'It's James.'

This person giggled it off and attempted some further conversation in an attempt to wrap up our interaction but I simply said, rather jovially considering the insult, 'Well I'll leave you to it. Talk soon,' and walked to another part of the pub...quietly seething.

The nerve. The audacity. To forget my name. I remember this person's name. I remembered their partner's name. The fact is, now I can't even be sure they knew who I really was! They could have seen me do the whole smile, wave and approach and internally shit themselves as they had no idea who I was...but still...it's me! Who forgets me...let alone my name? My name is entirely wrapped up in my personality. If you know me, you know my name.

Like a slap in the face.

I'm reminded of the time at a wedding where I stood next to someone I'd met on three previous occasions over the course of a year or two. I remember his name, his wife's name, what he does, even his religion...and he comes back with 'Have we met?'

Have we met??

I'M JAMES ANTONAS!

This is how petty grudges are formed people. Watch out.

No comments: