Friday, August 29, 2008

Casual chic

What is it about Casual Day?

It's Casual Day today at work...and I don't know, maybe it's me...but it just changes the whole mood and shape of the day...I feel relaxed, excited to go to and be at work, the weather seems nicer...it just seems like a great day...it helps that Casual Day falls on a Friday so the impending weekend lifts everyone's spirits and when asked the question 'How are you?' people respond with 'It's Friday!' rather than the customary 'Not bad for a Monday.' or 'Not bad for a Tuesday' or the surprising variation 'Not bad for a Wednesday' until Thursday arrives and you get 'It's almost Friday!'

People make me sick.

They are so anxious for the working day to pass so they can be home or drinking...or at home drinking...or drinking at home...instead of changing their outlook and mindset and being determined to enjoy the 8 or so hours that are spent in the concrete prisons.

It's a fact of life: you have to work. There is no escaping it. Money must be earned. Bills must be paid. Food must be bought. It's the crappy circle of life that they don't sing about in The Lion King because telling young children that they are being groomed to live a life of servitude is too scary a prospect for an animated film...of course showing Mufasa being trampled to death by wildebeests or Scar being eaten by Hyenas is perfectly reasonable.

So it is inevitable, we work. We all get it. But why can't people adjust their perspective and realise it doesn't have to be the back breaking chore they make it out to be - there is lots of time in the working day to laugh and smile and goof off and simply enjoy being healthy, breathing and basically being alive! Keep a song and a smile in your heart and the day will be brighter, and you'll find that your life will improve greatly.

Why only recently I decided to stop answering the question 'How are you?' with 'Fine' or 'Not bad'. Now I answer it with 'Great! And how are you!?' with a beaming smile and excitement lurking behind my eyes. And I feel great. You start doing this more and more often and you start feeling great more and more often. I have found it also results in a more positive atmosphere in your life. You're more inclined to laugh at things rather than get depressed, and it's just so much healthier feeling happy than crummy. Of course people stare at you like you're some kind of freak when you answer like that at 8 o'clock in the morning, but screw them. What do those mindless zombie drones know about anything? Nothing. That's right, they don't know nothing about anything...or to put it more simply...they don't know anything about nothing...or...bugger it.

I wake up when the alarm goes off. I don't hit snooze. I frame it in my mind that I have to get up. It's not a choice. I don't have the luxury to keep on sleeping. And after a day or two of doing this, you'll find it's much easier getting up in the morning. I actually wake up with the alarm. And I am awake as soon as I get out of bed.

And listening to some good music on the way to work always helps. Recently I've only had time for one or two songs before I'm at work, but those two songs are crucial. They need to be upbeat and catchy so once I'm out of the car I find myself whistling one of them as I walk the distance to work and come inside.

It starts the day right. And sets you off like a dwarf to a mine...and isn't that what life is really about?

Try it. You won't be disappointed!

...

Or you will be...I can't tell. I don't know you. Plus this kind of advice can be incredibly cloying and annoying if you're not a morning person or you hate you job...so...just suck it up and keep it to yourself you whingers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

who are you...jesus?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like someone has be listening to unky tone's Tony Robbins cds