Monday, July 28, 2008

Rats!

I had a dream last night. I can barely remember it, but one part has stuck in my head...

I was reading an article on green living, I don't think it was celebrity green living but for some reason the two accompanying photos were of Stephen Curry and how he lives the greenie life...and one photo was him in his kitchen...looking very commune like and hippie...and then I was in the picture and it was reality...and someone was cooking something and I was at the bench top with a bowl of food...when suddenly a rat scurried past one of the shelves above me and someone cried 'Lookout!' and as the words were out of their mouth the rat projectiled pooped in my direction...but, this being a dream, my reflexes were like a steel trap and I had good hand-eye coordination...and moved my bowl out of the direction of the flying feces without falling over myself...catastrophe averted I thought. I moved to a stool near the kitchen table and relaxed. Then the rats started coming out from under the oven (an old school wood burner with space underneath for...well, rats) and started coming at me with a vengeance and started climbing the stool I tried to kick them off but I was barefoot so didn't want to touch them and they just kept coming at me...

And that's when I woke up...not merely woke up but I woke up to find myself flinching as if rats were climbing up my feet whilst in bed...then realising it was a dream...soothed myself and went back to sleep.

Interesting? I don't know. I don't like rats but I've never really thought of them at any great length...and then to dream about them and for them to scare me enough in my sub-conscious that I force myself to wake up flailing about in bed like some...flailer...strange indeed.

I wonder what it means...if anything.

Of course people have crazy dreams all the time. Kirilie regularly has dreams in which I make an appearance...unfortunately I act like a total bastard...to such an extent that Kirilie will be angry at me for the rest of the day...the nerve...blaming me for her own sub-conscious! So I have to differentiate myself from this other James...this 'Dream James' as I call him. He waltzes into her dreams...causes a stir...and waltzes right out again...leaving 'Real James' to pick up the pieces. Of course 'Real James' can sometimes be a bastard but I've found that 'Dream James' has never matched the goodness of 'Real James'...funny. It's like there are two James' - the evil James and the pleasant convivial James...and for some reason Kirilie's sub-conscious is the home where these two giants of Jamesness do battle...instead of it taking place within me like the ol' Jekyll and Hyde syndrome thing balancing two parts of myself...it's in her noggin'. But they always seem to somehow work out a balance. I don't scare her too much during the day and he'll scare the bejesus out of her at night. It all reminds me of that movie...you know the one...Father of the Bride 2...


Steve Martin's funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't he just