Monday, July 7, 2008

Thank God I'm Old

I'm 26 years old. Officially.

Unofficially, my age ranges from 25 to 31 as people guess-timate and assess with a skill usually reserved for the selection of a good melon in the produce aisle. They say I act more mature, or seem more mature, or display more maturity...or some are honest and state plainly that I just look that old.

Now I don't take offence to that...the years have aged me, somewhat ungracefully, but with the passing of those years came the attainment of wisdom and knowledge which was followed by a gradual forgetting of that knowledge and then a period of relearning and adult education.

I've learnt many life lessons...and things about myself that, frankly, I didn't want to know about myself...for example, it turns out that I am quite handsome...not simply handsome...but quite handsome...what kind of burden is that to put on a young man struggling through life? Also, I'm in possession of a devilish wit...I don't know how...I don't ever remember paying for it but here I am in possession of wit...can I now on-sell it?

Through my junior years or 'junior years' as I like to refer to them (it gives them an air of self-importance and makes people believe there could be other stages of the life of James Antonas...so that a film could be made called James Antonas: the Wilderness Years) I thought I was quite the frugal friend...a penny pincher...a cheapskate...and so I came to the conclusion early on that I was an ungenerous person. But through the 'junior-middle-upper years' and my arrival to adulthood and full time employment...I find that I am quite a generous person...so it seems my generosity is only limited by my funding...a good thing to know I'd say.

I was/am a selfish person. Who isn't? I love lobster and crabs...ha ha...did you see what I did? Just another example of the wit aforementioned above. But seriously, I do love lobster.

I am a self-centered person...but over the years...I have become less so. There is still the ol' selfish nature there...but I try to appease him with gifts and promises of future wealth and fame if he allows me the moments to show my unselfish side through good deeds and practices...and I have to say that it is a deal that has worked a treat these last two years...and there's only room for more growth as the demand for good deeds and practices increases in these economically turbulent times.

I am impatient which impedes my ability to be a rational thinker. I learnt this lesson all too well these last few weeks moving house with Kirilie (the unselfish, patient angel that she is...who never raises her voice or says a cross word...she has said a crucifix word but we usually save that for Sunday mornings.) The lack of forethought, the hurried nature of my thinking, the frustrated impatience...all combined to make our move the magical experience that it was...I believe Disney are in talks to turn our story into a ride in the Magic Kingdom.

I used to be bitter...and negative. But not any more. Hopefully. A positive spin and there's a grin! (c) James Antonas Industries.

There are other lessons I've learnt...but who has the time for that much internal analysis...when there are more important things out there to enjoy...like lobster....ROCK LOBSTER!

No comments: