Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sermon on the Mount

It's interesting. You think you know people...or someone....and then WHAM! Right out of left field you get hit with a slug right in the face.

I don't know. Maybe it's me. I value honesty to a great degree...close to above all things...but I rate tact above all else. Tact is the key to living life. Sure being brutally honest can be helpful to get to the top. And you can talk yourself up with fancy phrases like You talk the straight sh*t...or you shoot from the hip...but what's the point? You're not a f*cking cowboy! You become a wanker in the process. The key to life is to be nice. That's the biggest thing that everyone should know. The world does not appreciate a prick...so why behave like one? You might think you're cool or daring or you're own person...but you really are a prick.

You have to grease the wheels...otherwise the machine won't run effectively or at all. This is especially the case in business. I don't mean big business...that's shark infested water...a pool that I have no desire to dip my toe into...but everyday business...management of people...office interactions. You treat people with respect. That's utmost. From CEOs to janitors...being nice is being nice. You don't want to burn bridges. There's no need to be negative or sour. If you smile at someone...they'll more than likely smile back...it might not be a lasting smile...but it's better than frowning, glaring or spitting on them as you pass.

I also think people hide behind email too much to give bad news or deal with issues that people are too afraid of to discuss face-to-face. Not that I'm against email - it's important as hell...but the delivering of bad news via this method is just weak, small and petty. I've seen it happen on lots of occasions. People think 'I'll send an email. They won't be able to tell what tone I'm using. So it's less offensive.' or 'I don't have the balls to say this to so-and-so's face...so I'll just shoot them email...no fuss...no muss.' See? Wimpy, spineless and a poor excuse for human behaviour. This is even less impressive when done by managers and higher ups...they get paid the big bucks...so earn the big bucks. Act like a decent human being.

I've heard stories of bosses who walk all over their staff...berate them, belittle them...these bosses are not well adjusted. This is not acceptable behaviour. Just because you're in a position of power doesn't mean you can do what you want to whoever you want in any way you want. Not at all. People are meant to look up to these people. To follow the example that they set...and that's fundamental...lead by example. Not abuse the power you're given.

I think the key to efficient and happy working relationships...in fact...human relationships period is to treat others the way you would like to be treated. It's a simple code and an easy way to live your life. Treat others the way you want to be treated. I wouldn't want to be yelled at...so don't yell at me and I won't yell at you! I would want respect from my fellow office folk...so respect is what I give them. Nothing sneaky, nothing underhanded, nothing malicious or cruel. It's simple niceties. And you can go home and look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of the human being staring back at you...and that's worth a whole damn lot to me.

Treat others as you would like to be treated. Simple. Can you imagine how much easier our life would be if people followed it?



Here endeth the lesson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess it can be difficult when people have varying opinions of what is acceptable and how they would like to be treated. It's easy to think "that wouldn't offend me, so it shoulnd't offend them" or "they should be able to take it". But everyone does react differently to the same situation, you have to be sensitive to other people's feelings and reactions. If stupid people at work don't realise that, well then they're...stupid. Plus everyone has bad days and sometimes you're an easy target.

Remember, your Mum loves you!