Thursday, September 18, 2008

Admiration

After all these years I'm still in awe at my father's ability to eat an apple with a knife.

I've struggled with it myself...but it's just clumsy and uneven. He does it with such dexterity...it's not awkward...it's smooth...and he cuts the apple toward him...that just feels dangerous when I do it...but when he does it...it's a natural thing.

It probably helps that he's had an apple every night for as long as I can remember. Usually a big ol' green Granny Smith.

How I hate the Granny Smith.

It's the one apple Mum used to buy over any other. It's so bitter...and green. Something about it just says to me 'I'm not ripe yet!' Now in my adult years...I've fallen in love with Pink Ladies (that just sounds dirty)...and sometimes Fujis...but give me a Pink Lady anytime...

But my knife skills have not developed as progressively as my taste in apples. If I have to chop vegetables for dinner...it's a struggle...well not so much a struggle as a long drawn out affair...where it would appear that I'm cutting with a delicate air...but I am really trying not to lose an appendage or fingernail...

And just so I'm not tipping the scales to one parent...my Mum used to make an awesome Chocolate Cake...moist but not rich...I think it had yoghurt in it and was from the Green and Gold Cook Book...she also makes Coffee Cake but I'm not a fan of Coffee Cake...and my brother and sister love her Cheesecake...but it's not to my fancy...no offence to Mum or Cheesecake...but give me more of that Chocolate Cake.

No comments: