Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Why I don't really like fish...

Yessir...I tackle the real issues.

I don't know why really...when someone says do you like fish...I find myself umming and ahhing and saying...'I like seafood!' But it's not the same is it? No. In my book seafood is calamari, scallops, prawns, mussels, oysters...but it's not fish. Is that even correct? No, apparently not...the break down of the word is 'sea' and 'food' = 'food of the sea'...so technically...plankton is seafood, algae...and fish. So I guess I stand corrected...so remember that...seafood is 'food of the sea'.

But I don't include fish on my list of likes...I don't trust it. Don't get me wrong...I love a battered piece of garfish as much as anyone...but as soon as you start baking a fish...or serving it in a salad or whatever...it becomes less trustworthy and more suspicious in my books.

I will heartily bite into a piece of battered fish because I assume there's no bones...and the fish has been deep fried to an inch of it's life...there's no doubting it's dead. But the texture is different when it's baked...there's also not the thick layer of disgusting crumbed goodness standing between my teeth and the sweet salty flesh of the dead sea animal.

And I'm afraid that there will be bones...and I hate bones in my food. When you have to start being careful when you chew your food...food becomes less fun. I don't want to have to push a piece of fish around my mouth for a minute just to discover what bones lie hidden within it...only to then have to put my fingers to my mouth and remove three pieces of skeleton...I am not Sylvester eating out of a garbage can. I am a grown man who doesn't want to over think his chewing.

It's like salmon...even when it's cooked it doesn't taste cooked. But it's not like I don't like uncooked fish...I like sushi...I do...but that tastes like it's not supposed to be cooked...a fillet of salmon to me tastes like it should be cooked and then cooked again. All that orangey flesh...who are they trying to impress? Not me that's for sure...just taste cooked, that's all I'm asking...and free of bones.

I think it also harks back to my Yia Yia baking fish...seeing it sit in the cooking dish...scales and the eye...and that was when it was ready to eat...I'll pass! But that's not the only dish I passed on...the other was avgolemono soup - a Greek egg and lemon soup...which to my memory consisted of egg yolks and lemon (I'm sure there's more to it!)...and tastes as good as it sounds. I spent many Easters trying to discreetly empty my bowl in a pot plant or some hidden space in the garden...and each Easter I would forget how much I hated it the previous Easter and ask for a bowl...stupid little Jimbo never learnt.

Mmmmm...appetising.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fish is an excellent source of lean protein and omega-3 fatty acids called eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).

Get on the team!

James Antonas said...

Meh.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm stalking you from Japan, the land of fish...and now I can't eat it anymore thanks to that delightful picture. Nice work.

James Antonas said...

You see people...this blog has such a wide reaching impact...from Melbourne to Adelaide to Japan to...the list is endless. Thank you geisha girl and enjoy your travels.

Anonymous said...

Don't knock the soup. I have fond memories of bringing bowls of that stuff back up. Mmmm I love that curdled shit. I'm with you on the fish

Anonymous said...

avgolemono soup is made with egg whites, not yolks. And I agree it is horrible. I would rather eat a bucket of warm fish milkshake than have to "try" another bowl of avgolemono soup.