Sunday, August 24, 2008

Twirling...

I just had a Twirl...

Relax you superficial trolls...it was a 'funsize' one...so I will still be maintaining my size zero frame.

But it got me thinking...I remember when the Twirl first came out. There was a lot of hoop-la...reminiscent of the coming of the Curly-Wurly...that may have been before or after...I forget. But still...and after all these years nothing has changed about the Twirl...Cadbury hasn't tried to 'mint' it or dip it in white chocolate or dark chocolate or mix it with caramel...it has remained unchanged. It is as it was and always has been...Swirls and Curls of Cadbury Dairy Milk Milk Chocolate.

But where is it in the national conscience...nowhere...it's not even on the shelf of the sub-conscious supermarket or 711 of the public mind. You know why...and I'm going to be brutally honest here...

The Time Out.

Now I know they're different...believe me...the Time Out has more in common with a Twix than with the Twirl...but it landed in Australia with as much hoop-la but a little less popular consumption...so I feel like the advertising and the focus was moved from a more reliable product like Twirl...onto the wafer based Time Out...and look at what that move has wrought.

Now I don't know how Twirl is selling...I haven't done the research...but maybe it still is the good ol' reliable chocolate...that can't be...that won't be...'redone' with flashy new tricks like a mint frosting caramel goo thing...it is unchanged. It is constant. Maybe that's why we love it. When we feel like curls and swirls...we say to ourselves...'Let's get a Twirl!' We know what it is...and the purple and yellow branding is emblazoned on our memory like a blaze of blazers...but it will never reach the popularity level that it once did. And I blame that also on the youth...the younger generations out there...who don't remember Nestle...only Wonka...who never think to pick up a Polly Waffle or a Chokito...and it is inevitably this generation that I feel sorry for...for they will never know the thrill of biting into a Coconut Rough...tasting the bubbles of an original flavoured Aero...or having debates about the quality of honeycomb in a Violet Crumble versus the Crunchie.

Or maybe they will...maybe I'm just being cynical. But it's never too late. Encourage your kids to experiment with different types of chocolate bars. Lift them on your shoulders so they can see the less popular peanut brittle chocolates. Do it. Grab a Twirl and give it a...shot.


2 comments:

James Antonas said...

I bought a Polly Waffle today and the girl behind the counter didn't even know what it was!

What is wrong with the world!?

James Antonas said...

Did the Twirl ever have the catchphrase...'Give a Twirl a whirl!'??

It should have...it's brilliant.