Friday, March 7, 2008

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright

So K and I are going to my cousin's wedding in Adelaide this weekend. The wedding is on Saturday afternoon-evening. Now usually we would have left on Friday night, but I've got a rehearsal that night so K left on Thursday afternoon and I'm going Saturday morning.

On Tiger Airways.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for budget travel...particularly the price...but in terms of aviation...you kind of want the best you can get. But monetary limitations forced me into making this choice. I could have flown Qantas or Virgin but they were too pricey for that time and day...a good $100 more than the Tiger Airways ticket, which was in the ballpark of a bus ticket to Adelaide.

But I haven't heard any stories about Tiger Airways since it's inception...so I'm a little nervous...hence the title of the this post. What am I in for?? I'm expecting a rattling aircraft with no seat belts or leg room where you have to brace yourself when the 'plane' comes into land...of course I'm exaggerating...but seriously, how can an airline afford to be that cheap? From what I remember of the initial information about the company was that they cut back on luxuries and made it the bear necessities. But when I've flown Virgin, so far the least luxurious air travel I've experienced, the only luxuries I could determine were a TV/radio and them offering snacks for an inflated price. So...when I wake up at 4:30am tomorrow and get on my 6:30am plane ride...what is going to be missing? Surely, eliminating TV/radio and beer nuts does not shave off $100 off their costs...does it!?

Plus you're only allowed 15kg of luggage before they charge you exorbitant amounts for 5kg more...maybe that's where they get you...you don't realise how much your luggage actually weighs until you check in and WHAM!! A $60 fee for packing an extra pair of condo...um...socks.

Anyway...we shall see. And I'll let you know how it went...if I'm still alive. :(

Tiger Airways Flight TT 7302: Melbourne to Adelaide

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, cheap flights, ummm... great conversation starter. Let's see what we've got. I'll just go downstairs and check the cheap flight jokes archive. On second thoughts I'm not a big fan of spiders.

Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Risin' up, straight to the top
Have the guts, got the glory
Went the distance, now I'm not gonna stop
Just a man and his will to survive...
you'll be fine.

James Antonas said...

Ha! I just got that anonymous...Tim, you make me feel awkward in my pants.